Serves Three or four people
On my first night in Jakarta, my hostess prepared semur. Undoubtedly she felt it might be easy on my small wimpy western palate, however i found its sweetness strange and exotic. Naturally a palate trained in the Midwest through the fifties and sixties could have found anything exotic! Given that We have toughened up, I realize for everyone a dish such as this with lots of sambal for the balance between sweet and hot. T
* 1 lb. beef roast, thinly sliced
* 2 shallots, sliced
* 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
* 2 Tb. kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
* 2 Tb. butter
* 2 hard-boiled eggs, halved
* 2 potatos, thinly sliced
* 2 tomatos, peeled and chopped
* 4 scallions, chopped
* Pepper and salt to taste
* Pinch of nutmeg
* Thinly sliced fried onion
Fry shallots and garlic in butter until lightly browned. Add meat and potato slices, and saute briefly. Add the tomato, soy sauce, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Mix well.
Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add eggs and cook for five minutes more. Add scallions just prior to serving and garnish with fried onions. Serve with white rice.
* Tamarind juice is manufactured out of block tamarind concentrate purchased from Indonesian stores, some supermarkets. To create tamarind juice, put an end to a bit of the block and soak in hot water for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze and loosen the rest of the flesh from your seeds and strain. Utilize a ratio of around 1:4 tamarind concentrate to water.
* Coconut milk is available canned at Indonesian groceries, many supermarkets
* Galanga (also referred to as laos) powder, the bottom reason for a rhizome in connection with ginger.
* Kemiri or candlenut is ground and used like a thickening agent in Indonesian food. Don't eat kemiri raw! They contain a mildly toxic substance which is destroyed by cooking.
* Kaffir lime leaves can be found frozen and dried at Indonesian food stores. The frozen ones are more flavorful.
* Terasi or shrimp paste are available in Indonesian
* Sambal Oelek or raw chili paste is available in Indonesian markets.